Made another meal today that is a lot more primal than the Guinness casserole. Used a recipe that I found here and thought it was very primal so decided to cook it myself!
Mashless Cottage Pie
500g lean beef steak mince
tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves (or a squirt of garlic puree)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes (chopped fresh tomatoes can be used instead.
250ml of beef stock
tbsp olive oil
1 large or 2 small parsnips
2 medium carrots
– dry fry the mince in a big pan and then set aside
– add olive oil to pan and fry onion on a medium heat for 5 mins
– add garlic and fry for a minute more
– Add tinned tomatoes and bring up to boil, then reduce back to a simmer and thicken for 5 mins, stirring occassionally
– Return the beef to the pan, with the Worcestershire sauce and the hot stock
– Bring back up to the boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for 20 mins
– Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
– While that is simmering, peel and chop the leeks, peel and grate the carrot and peel and grate the parsnip.
– Heat olive oil in a separate pan and fry the leek for 2-3 mins. Add the grated carrot and parsnip and fry on a medium heat for 2-3 mins more.
– Put the beef mince mix in an oven proof dish. Top with the grated veg mix and then sprinkle grated cheese on top.
– Oven bake for 30 mins until the top is crispy.
Just had a couple of fork fulls and it is really lovely 🙂 Really like the carrot/parsnip topping instead of the mash.
Really looking forward to eating it tonight!